Archive for October, 2010

On a scale of 1 or 10

If you’ve ever voted on a movie on IMDb, this post is, statistically speaking, probably aimed at you.

You’re (unfortunately?) free to give each movie a rating of between 1 (worst) and 10 (best) stars. That is, best like in it DOES NOT GET ANY BETTER than this. Now, if you find this concept a bit mind-boggling, I don’t blame you. How are you supposed to know the upper limit of how “good” a movie can physically (yes, everything is physics) be?

This is how I’ve handled this so far. When I was 16, I didn’t have any 10’s on my list. I think I had a 9 on Pulp Fiction. It was the best movie I’d ever seen, but the notion that I’ll never see a better one was too depressing to give it a 10.

As you get older, grey areas start to appear between the black and the white. You’ve stopped wondering why we can’t all just get along or why grown-ups don’t have sex ALL THE TIME like you did (wondered, that is) when you were eight. You start to realize what it means to be human. And that reducing a movies merits to a number is kinda ridiculous. And you’ve seen enough movies that giving a few of them 10’s doesn’t seem as far-fetched anymore.┬áIn other words, you’ve developed a legitimate respect for the 10.

About 6% of IMDb users have this respect. If you somehow managed to physically restrain the other 94% from using IMDb, stuff like The Shawshank Redemption would never reach #1, and hopefully not even come near the Top 250. Garbage like Zack Snyder’s (only bad movie) 300 wouldn’t get ridiculous amounts of 10’s just because IMDb doesn’t have an age (or taste) limit.

It’s interesting though, that the only movies whose main ratings are 10 and 1 (except pretentious festival crap where half of the voters are in the crew) are prettyboy vehicles like Twilight, carefully designed to stir up the already extremely fragile emotional lives of tween/teen girls, while luring their minds from the great lie pre-teen girls tell themselves, that they want a nice guy, to the even greater lie of Team Edward, that they want a “deep” guy.

But who am I to tell people how to vote? I can’t demand that all people be movie geeks. Just like writing nazis can’t demand that I end a blog post properly.

Advertisements

Advertisements